Defending you when it counts
Our team of criminal defence barristers and solicitors specialise in providing first-class representation in legal aid criminal cases and as court appointed advocates.
A criminal case in the Crown Court?
Our experienced defence advocates provide a wholly independent, high quality service to legal aid solicitors and their clients across England and Wales.
Our defence lawyers, including silks, specialist high court barristers and solicitor advocates, provide quality representation for all types of criminal cases, including:
- Murder, manslaughter and serious violent crime
- Rape and serious sexual offences, including prosecutions by RASSO and historic sex cases
- Drugs cases, including County Lines and Modern Slavery cases
- Fraud and white collar crime
- Proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA cases)
- Military and Court Martial
- Prison law
- Modern slavery and human trafficking
- Offences involving violence and public order
Arrested, accused of a crime, or asked to attend a voluntary interview at the police station? We can help.
The Public Defender Service provides high quality, free legal advice, assistance, and representation at the police station and for those eligible for criminal legal aid at court.
Contact one of our four solicitors’ offices to speak to our team if you or a loved one needs our help in:
We are specialists in all areas of criminal defence
Parole Board hearings and prison law matters
Our prison law specialists provide advice to prisoners throughout their sentence.
We can help with Parole Board Reviews, Licence Recalls, Independent Adjudications and Sentence Calculations.
Autism, mental health and disabled defendants
We are a leading defence practice for clients with autism, learning difficulties, neurodiverse conditions and cases under Section 38 of the Mental Health Act.
What you didn’t know about the PDS
- We are an independent, client-focused organisation
- We only defend clients who receive criminal legal aid
- We can help you in the police station, at court and on appeal
- We offer expertise in both military law and non-police prosecutions
- Our caseload ranges from general crime to complex cases
- We specialise in working with vulnerable clients and youths
Latest news and insights
Our client-centred approach
At the PDS, we are focused on listening and assessing the evidence objectively so that we can protect your rights and offer you tailored legal advice on what best to do next.
We believe in putting your defence first and ensuring your voice is heard.